Monday, December 26, 2016

Florida Christmas Flowers

These ancient oaks are not flowers but I think they are beautiful.   The green ferns that grow on the oaks are called Resurrection Ferns.  They are "air plants" that get their nutrition from rain water and the air.  When there is no rain, they appear to be dead - all brown and brittle but when it rains, they come back to life - That's why they are called Resurrection ferns.  The campgrounds here in South Florida are full of old oak trees.

I have family who live in Birmingham, Alabma and they call these plants Elephant Ears.  Maybe they are called that everywhere??  I don't know.  Tippy says that they don't have an odor.  She can smell good.

My family called this plant, Mother-In-Law's Tongue".  It's sharp and can hurt you.  Every Mother-In-Law that I know are very nice people.  Somehow, Mother-In-Laws got a bad, but undeserved, reputation I guess.

I don't know the name of this little red plant.  Tippy thinks that the rocks add to the beauty of the garden.  Treky says that it never freezes here - not like his hometown of Kitchener, Ontario, Canada.

More plants that I cannot identify.  Someone put in a lot of time making this garden.  Tippy thinks that they had talent for this kind of thing too.

Tippy says, "Ron, do you know the name of this red and green plant?"  Ron:  Nope.

But I think that this is a regular azalia.

This is not a flower - It's a fountain - I like it mostly because I know its name.  Ha.

Can you see the tiny pink and green blooms?

Treky thinks that this is some kind of baby palm tree.  I always called it a Spanish Sword.  Those fronds are sharp and will cut you.

This is a fragile looking cactus - the bloom grows from a stalk that is about three feet tall.  Very fragile looking bloom.


That's all for the unknown-name flowers for today.

My next post will show you what Tippy and Treky got me for a Christmas present.  You won't believe it.  I didn't and I still can't get over it.

We'll see you in a couple of days.

Ron, Tippy and Treky









1 comment:

  1. Hi Ron!
    I enjoyed following you until you closed down your blog for safety reasons. I was sad to lose you.
    By accident I just found you are blogging again. What date did you start up again? I want to go back to that date and get caught up on your travels.
    So happy I found out you are blogging....I like to follow along on your travels.

    ReplyDelete