Sunday, May 8, 2016

Shenandoah National Park

The Shenandoah National Park is a scenic roadway.  The skyline drive follows the crest of Blue Ridge Mountains for 105 miles.

At its southern end it joins the Blue Ridge Parkway.  This picture shows what the 105 miles of scenic highway looks like on a rainy day.
Plenty of sharp curves - Maximum speed limit is 35 MPH.

At 35 MPH, it should take about three hours to make the 105 miles.

But in the rain

And the thickest fog that I have ever seen, it took me seven hours including 30 minutes for lunch.
Mile posts are numbered from north to south and are posted every mile on the west side of the road.

There are 75 scenic overlooks; however the fog was so thick on my day there, there was nothing to see.

When I'm traveling, I take what I can get - so the fog and rain does not discourage us.  When you get there, I bet the sun will be shining and you can stop at every overlook - - Good Luck anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment