Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Robins Air Force Base Museum # 1


The Eagle building is the welcome center for the entire museum.  There is no admission fee - Admission to every building is free. Buildings are assigned according to the war the featured aircraft were used in.  One building is for WWII and Korean War planes; one is for Vietnam War planes and one is for Desert Storm, etc. There are three large buildings and many airplanes are located outside in an area surrounding the buildings.

I hope that this is readable.

This is the F-15A.  There is mass of electronics under that aluminum skin.

I sure as the dickens didn't forget it.

This plane was most successful against the Chinese and North Korean cheap plywood planes. 

The United States Air Force was organized in 1947.  Before that, it was part of the U S Army as the Army Air Corps.  Early in the Korean War, the Air Force still wore olive drab army uniforms but the stripes were Air Force.  When I went through basic training, I was told, "If something moves, salute it; if it doesn't move, pick it up; if you can't pick it up, paint it blue"

The silver model in the center is an F-94 Shooting Star, made by Lockheed.  I spent two years of my life working on that plane.  There were two seats - front seat for the pilot, rear seat for the radar observer.

Bomber - I know nothing about bombers except they are big.

Likewise, cargo planes.  I rode on them but never worked on a cargo plane.

This is a B-26 light bomber - I'll write an entire post about this plane later.

As best I remember, this is a reciprocating engine.  That is the cylinders are arranged in circle around the drive shaft.  Many early Air Force planes had reciprocating engines.

One of my jobs was to install and checkout the Norden Bombsite in the B-26.  This is a picture of one installed in a B-29.  It was super secret.  Top Secret clearance was required just to walk by it.  Ha.

I hope you can read this 

More airplanes tomorrow.

Ron, Tippy and Treky




No comments:

Post a Comment