Friday, December 11, 2015

Remembering Route 66


I-40 replaced Route 66.  In the 1950's, Route
66 was THE route across the US.  It ran from LA to Chicago.  I traveled it three times when I was in my 20's.  I had a wife, two little boys and a dog packed into a 1953 Chevrolet 210 hard-top convertible.  Once it was in July and we had no air conditioner in the car.  Most cars did not back then.

Americans had a love affair with their automobiles (I still do). They would load the family into their station wagon and drive, drive, drive.  The lyrics to a popular commercial were, "See the USA in your Chevrolet"

Flower children (Hippies) crossed the USA on Route 66 in their favorite:  the Volkswagen bus.

This was Flower Children's motto.

I felt relatively safe picking up hitch hikers  - - especially if they were in uniform.  I still have my duffle bag just like the one in the picture.

This was Route 66.  I'm following it in Oklahoma today.

Source of music in Route 66 cafes - - - The Juke Box

Police cars in that day would easily run over 100 miles per hour - - If the police didn't catch speeders, the heat did. Frequently the temperature reached 100 degrees (F).  You could see cars along side the road with burned engines.

Tippy is not allowed in most museums so he stays in Treky.  Note that the fantastic fan cover is up and the fan is running to keep Tippy cool.  When it's real hot, I can run the air conditioner off the batteries for a few hours.

This was a popular way to say goodbye in the 50's.  It's appropriate here.

Ron, Tippy and Treky


No comments:

Post a Comment