Monday, December 22, 2014

Air Force Armament Museum # 4

New Mexico sunset - Power poles and all.  Treky saw this from his rear window.  He thought we should include something other than airplanes.  As usual, he's right.

This is a C-47 - It has been around since the 1930's.  It was the Air Force workhorse during WWII, Korea, and Vietnam.  The civilian version is known as a DC-3.

B-17 bomber - Did most of the work over Germany during WWII - before the B-29.  When I was in the Alabama Air National Guard (age 17), I volunteered to be a gunner on this aircraft.  I was turned down because I was too tall (6'-3") to fit in the turret spaces.  The tail gunner had to lay down on his stomach to fire his 50 caliber machine gun.  He rode in that position for the whole mission.

Info

B-25 Mitchell Bomber - This was a "light" bomber compared to the B-17 or B-29 and it was "tricycle" landing gear equipped. When I got out of the Air Force, I went to work for Hayes Aircraft in Birmingham and the B-25 was their main contract at that time.  I was hired as a Technical Writer.

This is my favorite airplane of all times - Forever!  The SR71 Blackbird.

Can you believe that an airplane can fly at Mach 3.2 (over 1800 miles per hour.  Commercial jet liners today average less than one-third that speed.  It also flew at 85000 feet above sea level.  The Blackbird holds the altitude and speed record for all aircraft, anytime and anywhere.

  In my opinion, the SR-71 is the sleekest and most beautiful airplane ever made.  That's in addition to the fastest and highest altitude records that it holds.

With that, I'll close my posts about airplanes - but  airplanes and cars will remain in my heart as things that make me dream and smile.

We are still in Deming, New Mexico and will remain here for a few days including Christmas.  I'll participate in a Potluck Christmas Dinner on Christmas day here in the campground.

Also, while here, we will get Treky serviced and washed.

We may skip posting tomorrow unless Tippy or Treky do something cute - not likely.

Ron, Tippy & Treky


No comments:

Post a Comment