Saturday, November 22, 2014

On The Way to Florida

Sunrise on Highway US 278 Southbound


Like many small towns in the South, the city of Barnwell, SC has provided a small park for travelers.  Usually these parks are on U S Highways and provide picnic tables and a quite place to rest from driving.  They really come in handy if you are staying away from the interstate.

Tippy says, "Boy, I really appreciate Barnwell's park.  I had to go bad.

One of the features of the town of Estill (on US highway 321 South) is the Bull Durham factory.  My father in law smoked Bull Durham.  The loose tobacco came in a small cloth bag about the size of a cigarette pack.  It was held closed by draw strings.  He would open the bag, shake out tobacco on the paper and roll the paper.  Even after he lighted the cigarette, some of the burning tobacco would fall out and burn holes in his shirt.  In his day almost everyone smoked.

At the Georgia welcome center, I noticed those "things" growing out of the ground and wondered what they were.  Then I noticed the tree above them - - Cypress - - I think those  "things" are called Cypress Knees.  I'm not sure though???

Since Treky has all of this additional equipment, he weights more.  Before, he got 17.6 miles per gallon - now he only gets 16.6  Tippy says, "Bad Treky".

No so many 18-wheelers on the I-95 - I guess because it's Saturday.

We head to Cedar Key on Monday for the week.  Turkey, Ham, and All the Fixins - - Tippy says, "Yeah"

No comments:

Post a Comment