Monday, September 22, 2014

Last of the Cars

I bought this model car at Wheels of Yesterday because it is a model of the first car I owned.  It is a 1939 Chevrolet Business Coupe.  I bought the car when I was 19 years old and it was the first car in my immediate family.  It had a bench seat in front and no seat in the rear - just a storage area which I used to haul around my drum set.  I paid $250.00 for it and financed it with the Ingalls Iron Works Credit Union - $10.00 down and $5.00 per week deducted from my paycheck. 

It had a straight transmission - four on the floor - no air conditioner - no power brakes or steering - no power anything except Ron power.  The car was painted black with matching rust spots here and there.   I paid 19 cents per gallon for gas - I don't recall the MPG.


My first new car was a 1953 Chevrolet 210 Hard Top Convertible.  This model that I bought is a 1955 Bel Air Chevrolet but it's as close as  I could find at Wheels of Yesterday.  I bought it in Anchorage, Alaska and picked it up in Seattle, Washington then immediately drove it across country on furlough home to Alabama - mostly on Route 66.  My car did not have the fins and was cream colored on top and "Canyon Copper" below.  Canyon Copper was reddish brown.

Chevrolet's TV commercial for a few years was: "See the USA in your Chevrolet"  I have always taken that to heart.



Tomorrow we go to an FMCA rally near Asheville, NC.  We'll be in touch from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment